PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CERTIFICATES
Scenario Planning for Urban Futures
Time Commitment3 days
Not ready to commit?
Subscribe for email updates on future offerings and get a program brochure.
Earn a digital badge after successful completion of the course.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of this course.
AICP CM credits pending
Traveling to Ann Arbor?
Information on airport, hotels, local food options, and more.
Click for details.
Create Resilient and Sustainable Cities with Scenario Planning.
Scenario planning is a practice through which communities plan for an uncertain future by exploring multiple possibilities of what might happen. The practice guides planners, community members, and other stakeholders through considerations of various potential futures and explores how to effectively respond to and plan for them.In the course, urban planning professionals will gain first-hand knowledge about scenario planning and concrete ideas for how to implement scenarios in their cities.
- Develop knowledge and skills to be reflective practitioners who draw on scenario techniques appropriately to foster urban progress through effective planning practice.
- Derive knowledge from hands-on experience of a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques used by scenario planners to analyze trends, construct scenario narratives, and model scenarios using GIS tools.
9:00AM – 5:30PM ET
This program is available both in person in Ann Arbor and as a 3-day remote-live session via Zoom.
Course participants will dive deep into scenario planning through an examination of theory, review of case studies, and interactive activities. They will leave with first-hand knowledge of scenario planning and concrete ideas for how to implement scenarios in their cities.
LAPTOP REQUIRED FOR ATTENDANCE
Participants will receive digital reading materials, scenario planning tools, and other content digitally.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH the lincoln institute of land policy
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Urban planning professionals
- Early career professionals seeking to advance their skills
- Consultants seeking to deepen their expertise to win bids
- Advanced scenario planning practitioners seeking to reflect on their practices
- Master’s level urban planning students at programs where the topic is not available
- PhD students in various fields, e.g., sustainability, public policy, social work
- Applied researchers
News & Articles
Robert Goodspeed, PhD
- Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning
- Associate Director of Planning Practice and Scenario Planning, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
Foundations of Mobility
Gain the knowledge, skills, and problem-solving techniques required to address today’s complex transportation challenges.
Certificate in Current and Emerging Technologies
See the technologies reshaping the worlds of transportation and manufacturing.