NEXUS FACULTY RESOURCES BLOG
Leveraging Canvas Video Announcement Tools
October 21, 2020
Now more than ever, we are hearing that students are looking for communication and feedback from their faculty — but we also know this doesn’t always have to be live (synchronous). An effective strategy for maintaining regular engagement is to establish a communication pattern. Using the Canvas Announcements tool allows for easy student-instructor communication in one convenient location.
Consider posting Canvas Announcements twice a week with a plan for communication.
Post #1 each week — let’s say every Monday morning — may include:
- A greeting for the students
- A brief highlight or key takeaways of what was covered last week
- A preview of what students will learn in the coming week
- A current event, link, or application example of what is being covered in the course to help students engage with the content beyond traditional lecture methods
- Overview of any updates that were made to the navigation of the course space
Post #2 each week — let’s say every Thursday afternoon — may include:
- An update on FAQs that have come up during the week
- A summary of what will be addressed during an upcoming office hours or exam review session
- Important information about your course, such as alerting students about new material or rescheduling a synchronous activity
- Personalized course or topic insights that you would have otherwise shared with students at the beginning or end of class
The Canvas Announcements functionality allows faculty to post their updates via standard text or to leverage its video posting capabilities. A brief video announcement brings messaging to life, while offering a pre-recorded, asynchronous video tool for faculty.
Here’s a quick ~3-minute how-to video with step-by-step instructions for Canvas video announcements.
To learn more about video announcements, Canvas functionality, or other tools for students communication and engagement, complete this short form to request a one-on-one instructional consultation. Once we receive your form, a member of Team Nexus will contact you to find a time that fits your schedule.